Sunday, June 05, 2005

Book Meme Too

Posted in: Miscellaneous

Sorry I couldn't resist either.

Number of Books I Own:
Not even close to enough. Over 450

Last Book(s) I bought:
The Dharma of Star Wars by Matthew Bartolin; Star Wars and Philosophy by Kevin S. Decker (Editor), Jason T. Eberl (Editor), William Irwin (Editor) [these two are for a paper I am preparing and which I will be posting, on the Ethical System of Star Wars]; The Philosophy of Saint Thomas Aquinas and Spirit of Medieval Philosophy by Etienne Gilson; Primer on Post Modernism by Stanley Grenz; The Next Reformation: Why Evangelicals Must Embrace Postmodernity by Carl Raschke

Last Book(s) I Read:
On Being and Essence by Thomas Aquinas; Faith of the Fatherless: The Psychology of Atheism by Paul C. Vitz; Christian Ethics by Norman Geisler; Christianity and Bioethics by Mark W. Foreman; An Introduction to the New Testament: Three Volume Collection by D. Edmond Hiebert

5 Books that Mean a lot to Me:
1. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - This is the first book I read after becoming a Christian and it is the one that got me started in my study of Apologetics and Philosophy.

2. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien - A truly timeless work and one that I can read over and over again without ever tiring of the characters and the story.

3. Reason and Revelation in the Middle Ages by Etienne Gilson - My first steps into the world of Thomism were taken through this book. Its clarity and depth were astounding as well as its ability to capture the beauty and eloquence of Thomistic Philosophy as it related to the relationship of faith to reason.

4. The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman - Besides philosophy my other great passions are teaching and discipleship. This book captures the essences of most of what I have learned about both.

5. Being and God: An Introduction to The Philosophy of Being and Natural Theology by George P. Klubertanz and Maurice R. Holloway - This book may be the quintessential introduction to Thomistic Metaphysics. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Runnerups:
Biography:
Truman by David McCullough
Peter the Great by Robert K. Massie

History:
The Killing of History by Kieth Windschuttle
A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester


Literature and Fiction:
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Persian War by Herodotus
Harry Potter (all of ‘em) by J. K. Rowling (I don't care they're great stories)
The Collected Essays of Montaigne

Theology:
Systematic Theology I-IV by Norman Geisler
Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation by Thomas Howe
How to Read the Bible as Literature and Get More Out of It by Leland Ryken
He Is There and He is Not Silent by Francis Schaeffer
Can Man Live Without God by Ravi Zacharius


Philosophy:

God and Philosophy by Etienne Gilson
The Portable Nietzsche
Ends and Means by Aldous Huxley
The Republic by Plato


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home