Monday, October 31, 2005

Stryper! The Yellow and Black Attack is Back!!

Last night at the Neighborhood Theater in Charlotte, North Carolina I was treated to a . . . well . . . a Christian Metal Fest Extravaganza!!!! At the anointed hands of none other than STRYPER!

Yes, that's right, I was fortunate enough to have a great balcony seat for the Stryper show and enjoyed an entire 80s metal ensemble, complete with arena style drumming, muddy bass guitar, high pitched vocals, and dueling lead guitar action---the whole nine yards of heavy metal motion was on display last night, and it was a sight for sore eyes and ears!!


I was an avid metal-head in the 80s in a time when I was not walking with the Lord. I was so into the music (and the subsequent Hedonism and Satanic content) at the time that it was best for me to take a break from that genre of music post conversion. But, after 6 years straight of listening to cheap Christian "mall-rock" I was starving and needed a severe dose of metal madness.

Stryper provided that and much, much more for me at the show. They opened up with a couple of new songs, then went chronologically with hits from "Yellow and Black Attack" and "Soldiers" etc. and played a couple more new ones to round out the show. Then they came back after a short break with an encore of "To Hell With The Devil" to close things up. Their musicianship is great and they rock out in the name of the Lord, handing out Stryper versions of the New Testament (along with guitar picks and drumsticks) and Michael Sweet even closed the night in prayer! Stellar!!!!

Stryper is currently on tour (as a follow up to their previous reunion tour) supporting their new album "Reborn" (which is actually great) and it is a show well worth catching. For more information, go to the official Stryper website at: http://www.stryper.com/index.html

3 Comments:

Blogger Ariel said...

Mr. Monella,

Good write-up. I am sorry I missed the spectacle. The metaphysical beautician was also in attendance correct?

Matt

10:37 PM  
Blogger jamie said...

I've quite a penchant for hearing of these events after the fact. Bleh. Though, Sal, thanks for not posting a close-up TMI pic of the Sweet bros in spandex garb. Are those pictures from that show? bzzzzz bzzzzz bzzzzz . . .

Blogger ate the brilliant response I made to our last conversation, and now it's a bit after the fact. Oh well . . .

-The Lemmy Kilmeister of Evolutionary Biology (since we's handin' out names and stuff)

4:32 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

by the way, sorry to be confusing, but my first name is matt, and my middle name is ariel. which is why sometimes there is a non-cognitive switch.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home